Monday, May 09, 2005

American School of Barcelona

Sitting at Happy Talk internet cafe about a stones throw from my little apartment in Barcelona´s gothic quarter.

I had a long day today but a good one. The librarians at the American School of Barcelona did a great job organizing everything and my event went really well.

I arrived at the school around 8.15 by taxi to find Helen and Susan taping a huge sign to the front gates. It was done as a mosaic and read ASB WELCOMES CAROLINE LAWRENCE. I felt like a real celeb!

I spoke to about 200 kids from 2nd to 7th grade dressed up as a Roman with my powerpoint slide show. As usual, my sponge-on-a-stick routine got them gasping and laughing. It never fails. Have sponge-stick will travel...

Then I quickly changed back into street clothes to speak to grades 8, 9 and 10. (I would have lost all respect dressed as a Roman matron.)I gave them my writing tips talk which went down well as lots of the boys are huge Star Wars fans.

Then a break before several more workshops down in the library to different age groups.

What was amazing was that a fan from Ontario Canada saw from my EVENTS Diary that I was going to be in Barcelona the same time as she would be here with her family. Jessica and her parents contacted the American School who very kindly said she could come in and attend one of my talks. So she did! And now her parents are taking me out to dinner.

The weather has cooled down a bit and there is a light cloud cover. I´m hoping for warm bright weather one of my talks will be outside. Tomorrow at one of the British Schools here, St Pauls, and on Wednesday I´m at another British school: Oak House.

No comments:

Post a Comment